Catalog

Record Details

Catalog Search



Belleville, Mount Vernon, Indiana plats, 1849 -1870

Electronic resources

Available copies

  • 1 of 1 copy available at Evergreen Indiana.

Current holds

0 current holds with 1 total copy.

Location Call Number / Copy Notes Barcode Shelving Location Status Due Date
Indiana State Library - Indianapolis [Mss I] ISLI S2218 (Text) 00000107160988 Manuscripts Collection Available -

Record details

  • Physical Description: 0.01 Cubic Feet (1 folder)

Content descriptions

General Note:
Processing Information: Collection processing completed 2021/07/29 by Laura Eliason. EAD finding aid created 2021/07/29 by Laura Eliason.
Restrictions on Access Note:
This collection is open for research.
Summary, etc.:
This collection includes a hand drawn plat of Belleville, the section of Mount Vernon, Indiana laid out by David T. Kimball. The plat was signed by Kimball and William F. Phillips, the surveyor of Posey County, on November 1, 1849. It was presented in person by Kimball to Nathaniel J. Lord, Justice of the Peace of Essex County, Massachusetts, on December 18, 1849 to be his "voluntary act and deed," and was signed by Lord and certified by Ebenezer Shillaber, the clerk of the Court of Common Pleas. The collection also includes a hand drawn plat of a portion of Belleville that was sent to a Judge P. [Pitcher] and returned to the sender on April 14, 1870.
Preferred Citation of Described Materials Note:
Belleville, Mount Vernon, Indiana plats, Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction Note:
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library, Indianapolis, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Rare Books and Manuscripts.
Biographical or Historical Data:
Mount Vernon, Posey County, Indiana, was first known as McFaddin's (or McFadden's) Bluff. In 1816, residents agreed to changed the name of the community to Mount Vernon in honor of George Washington. In 1825, the legislature authorized moving the county seat from Springfield to Mount Vernon. First incorporated in 1832, the town was incorporated a second time in 1849 and in that same year David T. Kimball laid off the part of the town that was known as Belleville. Sources: City of Mount Vernon, Indiana. "The History of Mount Vernon." Accessed July 28, 2021. https://www.mountvernon.in.gov/category/subcategory.php?categoryid=24. Leonard, W.P. History and Directory of Posey county [Indiana] . Evansville, Ind.: A.C. Isaacs, printer, 1882. University of Southern Indiana. "McFadden's Bluff in Mount Vernon, Indiana." University Archives and Special Collections. Accessed July 28, 2021. http://digitalarchives.usi.edu/digital/collection/RLIC/id/26189.
Ownership and Custodial History:
This collection was received by Rare Books and Manuscripts as a purchase from Robert Lull on 1942/06/29.
Accumulation and Frequency of Use Note:
No further additions are expected.
Subject: Mount Vernon (Ind.) > Maps.
Posey County (Ind.) > Maps.
Genre: Cadastral maps.
Manuscript maps.

Additional Resources