Record Details

Catalog Search

Electronic resources

Available copies

  • 1 of 1 copy available at Evergreen Indiana.

Current holds

0 current holds with 1 total copy.

Location Call Number / Copy Notes Barcode Shelving Location Status Due Date
Indiana State Library - Indianapolis [Mss I] ISLI S2079 (Text) 207901-13285 Manuscripts Collection Available -

Record details

  • Physical Description: 0.01 Cubic Feet (1 folder)

Content descriptions

General Note:
Processing Information: Collection processing completed 2020/12/04 by Laura Eliason. EAD finding aid created 2020/12/04 by Laura Eliason.
Restrictions on Access Note:
This collection is open for research.
Summary, etc.:
This collection contains copies of membership records of Mt. Gilead Church of Morgan County, Indiana created by Phyllis Walker of Martinsville from the original record book that was in the possession of Herbert Fields of Mooresville. The collection includes Mrs. Walker's typewritten list of members who joined the church from 1835 to 1924 and photocopies of entries from the record book that range from 1835 to 1919. In January 1970, Mary E. Sheetz added a typewritten notation and loaned her copy to the Indiana State Library for the purpose of having it photocopied and added to the Library⁰́₉s collection.
Preferred Citation of Described Materials Note:
Mt. Gilead Church records, Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction Note:
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library, Indianapolis, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Rare Books and Manuscripts.
Biographical or Historical Data:
Mt. Gilead Church began in a school house near Sinking Creek in Madison Township, Morgan County, Indiana on March 22, 1835 with a small group of eighteen believers. On April 5, Enoch Summers and Andrew McNab were appointed elders. The church met in a log cabin owned by Thomas McNabb before a frame structure was built in 1839. A new church was built in 1859 and served the congregation for 62 years before being replaced by a new building in 1920. Other, larger facilities were built in 1978 and 2000 to accomodate the growing membership of the church. Sources: Information found within collection. "1835 Marked the Gathering Which Started Mt. Gilead Church." The Reporter-Times (Martinsville, Ind.), November 3, 1966. Mt. Gilead Church. "About: History." Accessed December 2, 2020.
Ownership and Custodial History:
This collection was received by Rare Books and Manuscripts as a records transfer OR donation from Mrs. Mary E. Sheetz on 1970/01/29.
Accumulation and Frequency of Use Note:
No further additions are expected.
Subject: Mount Gilead Church (Mooresville, Ind.) > History.
Church membership > Indiana > Mooresville > History.
Mooresville (Ind.) > Church history.
Morgan County (Ind.) > Church history.

Additional Resources