The book of spice : from Anice to Zedoary [electronic resource] / John O'Connell.
- ISBN: 9781690559870 (sound recording : hoopla Audio Book)
- ISBN: 169055987X (sound recording : hoopla Audio Book)
- Physical Description: 1 online resource (1 audio file (8hr., 35 min.)) : digital.
- Edition: Unabridged.
- Publisher: [United States] : Dreamscape Media, LLC, 2019.
- Distributor: Made available through hoopla
|Restrictions on Access Note:||
Digital content provided by hoopla.
|Participant or Performer Note:||
Narrated by Kyle Tait.
A tasty compendium of spices and a fascinating history and wide array of uses of the world's favorite flavors? The Book of Spice: From Anise to Zedoary reveals the amazing history of spices both familiar and esoteric. John O'Connell's erudite chapters combine history with insights into art, religion, medicine, science, and they're richly seasoned with anecdotes and recipes. Discover why Cleopatra bathed in saffron and mare's milk, why wormwood-laced absinthe caused eighteenth-century drinkers to hallucinate, and how cloves harvested in remote Indonesian islands found their way into a kitchen in ancient Syria. Almost every kitchen contains a bottle of cloves or a stick of cinnamon; almost every dish, a pinch of something, whether chili or cumin. The Book of Spice is culinary history at its most appetizing.
|System Details Note:||
Mode of access: World Wide Web.
Search for related items by subject