https://archives.isl.lib.in.us/repositories/2/resources/4291 - Finding aid online
- 1 of 1 copy available at Evergreen Indiana.
0 current holds with 1 total copy.
|Location||Call Number / Copy Notes||Barcode||Shelving Location||Status||Due Date|
|Indiana State Library - Indianapolis||[Mss I] ISLI S2726 (Text)||00000106663339||Manuscripts||Available||-|
- Physical Description: 0.01 Cubic Feet (1 folder)
Processing Information: Collection processing completed 2018/09/10 by Laura Eliason. EAD finding aid created 2018/09/10 by Laura Eliason.
|Restrictions on Access Note:||
This collection is open for research.
This collection includes photostat copies of seven survey drawings of the Kennedy Bridge that spanned the Flat Rock River in Rush County, Indiana. The drawings were created by the Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) and are dated January 25, 1934.
|Preferred Citation of Described Materials Note:||
Kennedy Bridge, Rush County survey drawings, Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library
|Terms Governing Use and Reproduction Note:||
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library, Indianapolis, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Rare Books and Manuscripts.
|Biographical or Historical Data:||
Archibald Kennedy and his sons, Emmett L. and Charles F., were covered bridge builders from Rush County, Indiana. Their covered bridges were known for their craftsmanship and the rounded archways and ornamental scrollwork on the gable ends were characteristic of their work. Most of their bridges were single span and were built with the Burr Arch Truss. In 1881, their first bridge to include covered walkways was built over the Flat Rock River on what is now State Road 44 about a mile east of Rushville. In 1934, drawings of the bridge were completed by the Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS), a federal preservation program of the National Park Service that was begun in 1933 to document America's architectural heritage. The bridge was removed in 1940 to make way for a more modern structure.Source:Arnold, Eleanor. "The Bridge Building Kennedys Leave Their Mark." Rushville Republican (IN), February 22, 1999. https://access.newspaperarchive.com/us/indiana/rushville/rushville-republican/1999/02-22/page-48/emmett-kennedy?psi=38&pci=7&pc=6077,25347.Indiana Covered Bridge Society. "The Bridge Builders: Kennedy Family." Bridge Builders. Accessed September 10, 2018. http://indianacrossings.org/builders/kennedy.html.Library of Congress. "Kennedy Bridge, Spanning Flat Rock River at State Route 44, Rushville, Rush County, IN." Photos, Prints, Drawings. Accessed September 10, 2018. https://www.loc.gov/item/in0164/.National Park Service. "Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS)." Heritage Documentation Programs. Accessed September 10, 2018. https://www.nps.gov/hdp/habs/index.htm.
|Cumulative Index/Finding Aids Note:||
Finding aid online.
|Ownership and Custodial History:||
This collection was received by Rare Books and Manuscripts as a donation and transferred from the photograph collection in 2018/08.
|Accumulation and Frequency of Use Note:||
No further additions are expected.
Search for related items by subject
|Subject:||Historic American Buildings Survey.
Covered bridges > Indiana > Rush County.