https://archives.isl.lib.in.us/repositories/2/resources/4009 - Finding aid online:
- 1 of 1 copy available at Evergreen Indiana.
0 current holds with 1 total copy.
|Location||Call Number / Copy Notes||Barcode||Shelving Location||Status||Due Date|
|Indiana State Library - Indianapolis||[Mss I] ISLI S2444 (Text)||00000106663230||Manuscripts||Available||-|
- Physical Description: 0.01 Cubic Feet (1 folder)
Processing Information: Collection processing completed 2018/09/11 by Laura Eliason. EAD finding aid created 2018/09/11 by Laura Eliason. EAD finding aid updated by Bethany Fiechter on 2018/11/08.
|Restrictions on Access Note:||
This collection is open for research.
This collection includes two half-fold card with Robert W. Shields' "artist's conception" pen sketch of Old Fort Vallonia printed on the front cover and a three paragraph history of the fort printed inside the card. The cards were given as dinner favors at an event sponsored by the Fort Vallonia Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution in May 1952.Also included is an artist sketch of Fort Vallonia during 1812 by E. M. Cox.
|Preferred Citation of Described Materials Note:||
Old Fort Vallonia, Jackson County, Indiana card, Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library
|Terms Governing Use and Reproduction Note:||
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library, Indianapolis, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Rare Books and Manuscripts.
|Biographical or Historical Data:||
Jackson County was the 14th county to be organized in the Indiana Territory when it was formed from Clark, Jefferson, and Washington Counties on January 1, 1816. Named after Andrew Jackson, its first county seat was Vallonia. Vallonia was the site of one of three forts built in the county during the War of 1812 to protect the white settlers living in the area. The fort was occupied until 1814, with Major John Shields Tipton and his militia Rangers garrisoned there in 1813. The fort was demolished in 1821.Sources:Information within collection.Indiana Historical Bureau. "Fort Vallonia." Find a Marker. Accessed September 11, 2018. https://www.in.gov/history/markers/145,htm.htm.Jackson County.in.gov. "History of Jackson County." About Us. Accessed September 11, 2018. http://www.jacksoncounty.in.gov/about_us/history_of_jackson_county/index.php.
|Cumulative Index/Finding Aids Note:||
Finding aid online.
|Ownership and Custodial History:||
This collection was received by Rare Books and Manuscripts as a donation and transferred from photograph collection in 2018/08.
|Accumulation and Frequency of Use Note:||
No further additions are expected.
Search for related items by subject
|Subject:||Fortification > Indiana > Jackson County.
Fort Vallonia (Ind.).
Jackson County (Ind.)