https://archives.isl.lib.in.us/repositories/2/resources/3143 - Finding aid online
- 1 of 1 copy available at Evergreen Indiana.
0 current holds with 1 total copy.
|Location||Call Number / Copy Notes||Barcode||Shelving Location||Status||Due Date|
|Indiana State Library - Indianapolis||[Mss I] ISLI S1579 (Text)||00000106357825||Manuscripts||Available||-|
- Physical Description: 0.01 Cubic Feet (1 folder)
Processing Information: Collection processing and finding aid completed 2018/9/20 by Nikki Stoddard Schofield.
|Restrictions on Access Note:||
This collection is open for research.
This collection has newsletters, memos, a membership form, and a list of people who loaned material to the Indiana State Museum. The first newsletter by President John G. Biel tells about a collection of Indian artifacts donated to the Illinois State Museum because Indiana did not have a state museum. A document dated July 25, 1966, by the Indiana State Parks, gives a summary of collections donated to the state, beginning with David Dale Owen's rock collection about 1859. Civil War flags, swords, guns, and other items were donated by veterans and housed in various locations over the years. On December 10, 1966, people were invited to an advance showing of the Indiana State Museum located in the former Indianapolis City Hall, 202 North Alabama Street. On June 25, 1969, Museum Director R. D. Starrett announced a new gallery for "50 Dolls of Indiana Children." In January 1970, the Museum had 525 members. Membership cost $3.00.
|Preferred Citation of Described Materials Note:||
Indiana Museum Society, Inc. collection, Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library
|Terms Governing Use and Reproduction Note:||
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library, Indianapolis, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Rare Books and Manuscripts.
|Biographical or Historical Data:||
Based on the first document in this collection, there was no Indiana State Museum in 1959 when Mrs. Ernest W. Young of South Bend, Indiana, donated her late husband's collection of Indian artifacts to the Illinois State Museum. John G. Biel, president of the Indiana Museum Association bemoaned the fact that Mrs. Young placed the collection in our neighboring state because Indiana lacked a state museum. In 1966, the museum had a permanent home in the former Indianapolis City Hall on the southeast corner of Ohio and Alabama streets.
|Cumulative Index/Finding Aids Note:||
Finding aid online.
|Ownership and Custodial History:||
This collection was received by Rare Books and Manuscripts as a transfer from the Indiana Division.
|Accumulation and Frequency of Use Note:||
No further additions are expected.
Search for related items by subject
|Subject:||Indiana State Museum.