Dr. William A. Lindsay medical and surgical journals 1836-1855
- 1 of 1 copy available at Evergreen Indiana.
0 current holds with 1 total copy.
View other formats and editions
|Location||Call Number / Copy Notes||Barcode||Shelving Location||Status||Due Date|
|Indiana State Library - Indianapolis||[Mss I] ISLI L709 (Text)||00000106356488||Manuscripts||Available||-|
- Physical Description: 0.3 Cubic feet 1 manuscript box
Processing Information: Collection processing completed 2015/09/10 by Linda Gellert. EAD finding aid created 2015/09/10 by Linda Gellert. EAD finding aid updated by Lauren Patton 2018/07/14.
|Restrictions on Access Note:||
This collection is open for research.
This collection includes photocopies of Dr. William A. Lindsay's medical journals, in Indiana and Ohio, ranging from 1836 to 1855. Also included is an index to Lindsay's medical journals with patient names and the three (3) original Dr. William Lindsay journals: Journal 1, Journal 3, and Journal 4 (note: there is no Journal 2 included in the collection).
|Preferred Citation of Described Materials Note:||
Dr. William A. Lindsay medical and surgical journals, Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library
|Terms Governing Use and Reproduction Note:||
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library, Indianapolis, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Rare Books and Manuscripts.
|Biographical or Historical Data:||
Dr. William A. Lindsay was born December 24, 1795, in Lincoln County, North Carolina, son of Samuel and Eleanore (Wilson) Lindsay, Jr. Dr. Lindsay authored four surgical journals from his case records from 1836 to 1855. William Lindsay's first career was as a teacher in North Carolina, ca 1810. After his father's death in 1814, his mother moved to Ohio with her children, where Lindsay began his study of medicine. In 1821-1822, William Lindsay taught secondary school at Salisbury and Centerville, Indiana, and in 1822, moved to Lawrenceburg, Indiana, where he served as assistant postmaster and practiced medicine under Dr. Ezra Ferris. In 1825-1826, he attended the Ohio Medical College in Cincinnati, Ohio, and in 1827, he moved to West Alexandria, Ohio, to further his practice. In 1829, he relocated to Richmond, Indiana, where he operated a drug store while practicing medicine, dentistry, midwifery and surgery. While in Richmond, Dr. Lindsay began writing his surgical journals in 1836, and joined the Richmond Antislavery Society. In March 1864, Dr. Lindsay assumed a surgical position with the U.S. Army in Indianapolis, serving at Camp Fremont, Camp Burnside, Pest Hospital, and Camp Morton, and in December 1864, was transferred to serve in Louisville, Kentucky. In 1866, Dr. Lindsay resumed his medical practice in West Alexandria, Ohio, where he died on May 7, 1876. Sources:History of Preble County, Ohio, H. Z. Williams and Bro., Cleveland, 1881. Digitized, Oct 2, 2014, books.google.com http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/LINDSAY/1998-11/0910714894-01
|Ownership and Custodial History:||
This collection was received by Rare Books and Manuscripts from Richard E. Banta, Crawsfordsville, Indiana, in 1942.
|Accumulation and Frequency of Use Note:||
No further additions are expected.
Search for related items by subject
|Subject:||Surgery > Case studies.
Surgery > United States > History > 19th century.