The picture of Dorian Gray [electronic resource].
View other formats and editions
- ISBN: 9781982702335 (sound recording : hoopla Audio Book)
- ISBN: 1982702338 (sound recording : hoopla Audio Book)
- Physical Description: 1 online resource (1 audio file (6hr., 28 min.)) : digital.
- Edition: Unabridged.
- Publisher: [United States] : Author's Republic, 2018.
- Distributor: Made available through hoopla
|Restrictions on Access Note:||
Digital content provided by hoopla.
|Participant or Performer Note:||
Read by Gerry O'Brien.
The Picture of Dorian Gray is a philosophical novel by Oscar Wilde, first published complete in the July 1890 issue of Lippincott's Monthly Magazine. Fearing the story was indecent, the magazine's editor without Wilde's knowledge deleted roughly five hundred words before publication. Despite that censorship, The Picture of Dorian Gray offended the moral sensibilities of British book reviewers, some of whom said that Oscar Wilde merited prosecution for violating the laws guarding the public morality. In response, Wilde aggressively defended his novel and art in correspondence with the British press, although he personally made excisions of some of the most controversial material when revising and lengthening the story for book publication the following year.
|System Details Note:||
Mode of access: World Wide Web.
Search for related items by subject
Search for related items by series