- 1 of 1 copy available at Evergreen Indiana.
0 current holds with 1 total copy.
|Location||Call Number / Copy Notes||Barcode||Shelving Location||Status||Due Date|
|Indiana State Library - Indianapolis||[Mss I] ISLI S1493 (Text)||00000106356389||Manuscripts||Available||-|
- Physical Description: 0.01 Cubic feet 1 folder
Processing Information: Collection processing completed 2018/04/23 by Laura Eliason. EAD finding aid created 2018/04/23 by Laura Eliason.
|Restrictions on Access Note:||
This collection is open for research.
This collection includes photostatic copies of War Department records regarding Camp Morton at Indianapolis, Indiana. Ranging from 1862 to 1865, the copied records include inspection reports, post general and special orders, and correspondence regarding the prisoners and conditions at the camp. The collection also includes four typewritten pages of annotated notes regarding the copied records. Correspondents include Dr. John S. Bobbs, Joseph B. Brown, Henry C. Carrington, John M. Cuyler, James A. Edwards, James A. Ekin, Dr. David Funkhouser, Alvin P. Hovey, and Richard Owen.
|Preferred Citation of Described Materials Note:||
Camp Morton inspections and reports, Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library
|Terms Governing Use and Reproduction Note:||
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library, Indianapolis, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Rare Books and Manuscripts.
|Biographical or Historical Data:||
Camp Morton was a military training center and prisoner-of-war camp located in Indianapolis, Indiana during the U.S. Civil War. Following the fall of Fort Sumter in April, 1861, Governor Oliver P. Morton offered 10,000 Hoosier troops to fight for the Union. Governor Morton selected the Indiana State Fairgrounds just north of the city to house and train new recruits. After the Union victory at Fort Donelson in February, 1862, Confederate prisoners were sent to the camp. By early 1863, the camp was "much dilapidated and sadly in need of repairs." There were many complaints about the conditions at the camp and improvements were seen after Col. Ambrose A. Stevens became commandant in October, 1863. The last Confederate prisoners left the camp in June, 1865.Sources:Hunter, Lloyd A. "Camp Morton." In The Encyclopedia of Indianapolis edited by David J. Bodenhamer and Robert G. Barrows, 381-382. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 1994.Winslow, Hattie Lou and Joseph R.H. Moore. Camp Morton 1861-1865: Indianapolis Prison Camp. Indianapolis: Indiana Historical Society, 1995.
|Ownership and Custodial History:||
This collection was received by Rare Books and Manuscripts as a donation.
|Accumulation and Frequency of Use Note:||
No further additions are expected.
Search for related items by subject
|Subject:||Camp Morton (Ind.)
United States > History > Civil War, 1861-1865 > Prisoners and prisons.
Prisoners of war > Indiana > Camp Morton.
Soldiers > Confederate States of America.