George F. Cram Company collection 1845-1955
- 1 of 1 copy available at Evergreen Indiana.
0 current holds with 1 total copy.
|Location||Call Number / Copy Notes||Barcode||Shelving Location||Status||Due Date|
|Indiana State Library - Indianapolis||[Mss I] ISLI L511 (Text)||00000106661705||Manuscripts||Available||-|
- Physical Description: 0.4 Cubic feet 1 manuscript box; 1 half-size manuscript box
Processing Information: Collection processing completed 2018/02/27 by Laura Eliason. EAD finding aid created 2018/02/27 by Laura Eliason.
|Restrictions on Access Note:||
This collection is open for research.
This collection contains items from the George C. Cram Company ranging from 1845-1955 and includes a notebook with patent documents, images and specs (1845-1947); the booklet Trade-Marks, Trade-Names, Unfair Competition by the law offices of Linton, Kellogg, Robic and Bastien (1926); patent document for Arthur Schrenkeisen's globe (1920); correspondence regarding patent dispute (1935-1951); the National Map Company ledger (1916-1917); a company scrapbook with clippings, brochures, advertisements, photographs of globes, and a company newsletter (1918-1949); National Map Company record book of minutes and stock certifcates (1915-1944); and a saleman's binder with map samples, catalogs and other promotional materials (1955).
|Preferred Citation of Described Materials Note:||
George C. Cram Company collection, Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library
|Terms Governing Use and Reproduction Note:||
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library, Indianapolis, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Rare Books and Manuscripts.
|Biographical or Historical Data:||
The George F. Cram Company was one of the largest map and atlas publishing businesses in the United States during the 20th Century. The company was established in 1867 in Chicago by George F. Cram and his Uncle Rufus Blanchard. Originally called Blanchard and Cram, George took full ownership after two years and renamed it after himself. In 1921, Cram sold the company to Edward A. Peterson, owner of the National Map Company of Indianapolis. The two companies were combined in 1928 under one name, the George F. Cram Co., and the product line was expanded to include globes. In 1968, Loren B. Douthit became the president of the company and the Douthit family continued to run the business until it was sold to Herff Jones, Inc. in 2005. Sources:Martin, Eric. "Two City Business Legends Merging: Herff Jones to Buy Map, Globe Maker George F. Cram Co.; Jobs Remain Secure." Indianapolis Star(IN), February 22, 2005. Accessed February 22, 2018. https://search.proquest.com/docview/240732752?accountid=57494.Monnier, Cynthia L., ed. Business in Indianapolis. Indianapolis, IN: Indianapolis Business Journal, 1995."Payroll builders of Indianapolis: Map Company Head." Indianapolis News (IN), September 26, 1927.Rizzo, Russ. "Globe Company Expands into Worldwide Market." Indianapolis Star (IN), August 12, 2002. Accessed February 22, 2018. https://search.proquest.com/docview/1903044093?accountid=57494.
|Ownership and Custodial History:||
This collection was received by Rare Books and Manuscripts as a records transfer from the Indiana Division and from a donation by William L. Douthit on 2016/07/05.
|Accumulation and Frequency of Use Note:||
No further additions are expected.
Search for related items by subject
|Subject:||George F. Cram Company.
National Map Company.
Business enterprises > Indiana > Indianapolis.