View other formats and editions
- ISBN: 9781684410477 (sound recording : hoopla Audio Book)
- ISBN: 1684410479 (sound recording : hoopla Audio Book)
- Physical Description: 1 online resource (1 audio file (7hr., 38 min.)) : digital
- Edition: Unabridged.
- Publisher: [United States] : HighBridge, 2017.
- Distributor: Made available through hoopla
|Restrictions on Access Note:||
Digital content provided by hoopla.
|Participant or Performer Note:||
Read by Joe Jameson.
In this atmospheric and profoundly moving debut, Cathy and Daniel live with their father, John, in the remote woods of Yorkshire, in a house the three of them built themselves. John is a gentle brute of a man, a former enforcer who fights for money when he has to, but who otherwise just wants to be left alone to raise his children. When a local landowner shows up on their doorstep, their precarious existence is threatened, and a series of actions is set in motion that can only end in violence. Steeped in the natural world of northern England, this is a lyrical commentary on the bonds of siblings and fatherhood, and on the meaning of community in the modern world. Elmet marks the launch of a major new voice in literary fiction.
|System Details Note:||
Mode of access: World Wide Web.
Search for related items by subject
|Subject:||Father and child > Fiction.
Brothers and sisters > Fiction.
Families > Violence against > Fiction.
Yorkshire (England) > Fiction.