The medieval city / Norman Pounds.
- http://www.h-net.org/review/hrev-a0e2n8-aa - Book review (H-Net)
- http://www.loc.gov/catdir/toc/ecip054/2004028021.html - Table of contents
- 1 of 1 copy available at Evergreen Indiana.
0 current holds with 1 total copy.
|Location||Call Number / Copy Notes||Barcode||Shelving Location||Status||Due Date|
|Newburgh Chandler PL - Bell Road Library||REF 909.07 POU (Text)||39206020074850||Reference||Available||-|
- ISBN: 0313324980 (alk. paper)
- ISBN: 9780313324987 (alk. paper)
- Physical Description: xxix, 233 pages : illustrations, maps ; 25 cm.
- Publisher: Westport, Conn. : Greenwood Press, 
- Copyright: ©2005
|Bibliography, etc. Note:||
Includes bibliographical references (pages -226) and index.
|Formatted Contents Note:||
Origins -- The urban plan: streets and structures -- The urban way of life -- The church in the city -- City government -- Urban crafts and trade -- Health, wealth, and welfare -- Conclusion: the city in history.
Presents a history of the town in the middle Ages, discussing its early growth and structure, trades, guilds, crime, sanitation, medical care, and the role of government and the church. An introduction to the life of towns and cities in the medieval period, this book shows how medieval towns grew to become important centers of trade and liberty. Beginning with a look at the Roman Empire's urban legacy, the author delves into urban planning or lack thereof; the urban way of life; the church in the city; city government; urban crafts and urban trade, health, wealth, and welfare; and the city in history. Annotated primary documents like Domesday Book, sketches of street life, and descriptions of fairs and markets bring the period to life, and extended biographical sketches of towns, regions, and city dwellers provide readers with valuable detail; in addition, 26 maps and illustrations, an annotated bibliography, glossary, and index round out the work.
Search for related items by subject
|Subject:||Cities and towns, Medieval.
Search for related items by series
- Greenwood guides to historic events of the medieval world
- Greenwood guides to historic events of the medieval world.