- ISBN: 9781541492592 (sound recording : hoopla Audio Book)
- ISBN: 1541492595 (sound recording : hoopla Audio Book)
- Physical Description: 1 online resource (1 audio file (11hr., 01 min.)) : digital.
- Edition: Unabridged.
- Publisher: [United States]: Tantor Audio, 2017.
- Distributor: Made available through hoopla
|Restrictions on Access Note:||
Digital content provided by hoopla.
|Participant or Performer Note:||
Narrated by Susan Hanfield.
When a financial crisis in 1850s New York leaves three orphaned sisters nearly destitute, the oldest, Elise Neumann, knows she must take action. She's had experience as a seamstress, and the New York Children's Aid Society has established a special service: placing out seamstresses and trade girls. Even though Elise doesn't want to leave her sisters for a job in Illinois, she realizes this may be their last chance. The son of one of New York City's wealthiest entrepreneurs, Thornton Quincy faces a dilemma. His father is dying, and in order to decide which of his sons will inherit everything, he is requiring them to do two things in six months: build a sustainable town along the Illinois Central Railroad, and get married. Thornton is tired of standing in his twin brother's shadow and is determined to win his father's challenge. He doesn't plan on meeting a feisty young woman on his way west, though.
|System Details Note:||
Mode of access: World Wide Web.