- 1 of 1 copy available at Evergreen Indiana.
0 current holds with 1 total copy.
|Location||Call Number / Copy Notes||Barcode||Shelving Location||Status||Due Date|
|Indiana State Library - Indianapolis||[Mss I] ISLI S1953 (Text)||1953001-9711125||Manuscripts||Available||-|
- Physical Description: 0.01 Cubic feet 1 folder
|General Note:|| Processing Information: Collection processing completed and EAD finding aid created 2017/08/09 by Kristin Lee.
|Restrictions on Access Note:|| This collection is open for research.
|Summary, etc.:|| This collection includes three watercolor paintings from Paul Hadley in Indianapolis, Indiana ranging from 1900 to 1971 regarding the William Harvey House in Chadd's Ford, Pennsylvania and the St. Nicholas Church in Somerset, England.
|Preferred Citation of Described Materials Note:|| Paul Hadley watercolors, Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library
|Terms Governing Use and Reproduction Note:|| Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library, Indianapolis, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Rare Books and Manuscripts.
|Biographical or Historical Data:|| Paul Hadley, noted watercolorist and designer of the Indiana state flag, was born in Indianapolis, Indiana in 1880 to Dr. Evan and Ella Hadley. In 1900, after graduating from Manual Training High School where he studied art, Hadley enrolled in the Pennsylvania Museum and School of Industrial Design in Philadelphia. Hadley remained at the Philadelphia school for two years where he concentrated in interior design. From 1903-1904, Hadley took classes at the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts. After working at a Chicago firm where he specialized in interior design, Hadley returned to Indiana around 1912 and continued to design and create art. In 1917, the Indiana legislature officially adopted Hadley's submission for the Indiana state flag. His blue and gold design features a flaming torch, symbolizing liberty and enlightenment, and nineteen stars.During the 1920s, Hadley became well-known for his watercolor landscapes. In 1922, Hadley joined the John Herron Art Institute as an instructor of interior design and later, in 1929, of watercolor. Hadley was eventually transferred to the Institute's museum where he served as an assistant curator from 1932-1936. Hadley was a member of the Portfolio Club and was involved in the Indiana Artists Club's exhibitions and events. During his lifetime, his works were exhibited at the Herron's Art Gallery, Chicago's World Fair, Indiana State Fair, H. Lieber Gallery, and Mary Q. Burnett gallery of the Women's Department Club. Paul Hadley died on January 31, 1971 in Richmond, Indiana. He was cremated and placed at Crown Hill Cemetery. Sources: Perry, Rachel Berenson. "Paul Hadley and the Indiana Flag." Traces of Indiana and Midwestern History 15, no. 1 (Winter 2003): 20-29.
|Ownership and Custodial History:|| This collection was received by Rare Books and Manuscripts as a donation from Ped Hadley Schubert and Robert Hadley; transferred from the Genealogy Division on 1997 August.
|Accumulation and Frequency of Use Note:|| No further additions are expected.
Search for related items by subject
|Subject:||St. Nicholas Church (Somerset, England).
Artists > Indiana.
Watercolor painting > Specimens.