Processing Information: Collection processing completed 2006/05 by Benjamin Clark. Finding aid updated 2015/11/04 by Bethany Fiechter.
Restrictions on Access Note:
This collection is open for research.
This collection contains an indenture between Hiram and Catherine King pertaining to property that was transferred to the possession of Swan Presbyterian Church.
Preferred Citation of Described Materials Note:
Swan Presbyterian Church Indenture, Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction Note:
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library, Indianapolis, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Rare Books and Manuscripts.
Biographical or Historical Data:
The Swan Presbyterian Church, also known as King Presbyterian Church of Swan Township was established by a strict group of United Presbyterians who did not wish to associate with other Presbyterian groups, so they felt it best to establish their own denomination. However, the group disbanded in 1880. The Hooper King Cemetery that was associated with the church remained in use as of 1990.