Processing Information: Collection processing completed 2006/03 by Benjamin Clark. Finding aid updated 2015/10/30 by Laura Eliason.
Restrictions on Access Note:
This collection is open for research.
This collection contains the record of mails received by the postmaster of the Longwood Post Office, Ross Smiley.
Preferred Citation of Described Materials Note:
Longwood Post Office records, Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction Note:
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library, Indianapolis, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Rare Books and Manuscripts.
Biographical or Historical Data:
The first post office at this site was called Philpott's Mills, and was established on 15 December 1832. It was named for William Philpott who was the first Postmaster of this location. The name was changed to Longwood on 24 April 1837; the first Postmaster under the new name was Philip N. Marks. Ross Smiley was the Postmaster for the period covered by this collection. The post office was discontinued in 1868, reestablished in 1872, and discontinued again on 15 March 1901.