Catalog

Record Details

Catalog Search



Free lunch : how the wealthiest Americans enrich themselves at government expense (and stick you with the bill) / David Cay Johnston.

Electronic resources

Available copies

  • 34 of 34 copies available at Evergreen Indiana.

Current holds

0 current holds with 34 total copies.

Location Call Number / Copy Notes Barcode Shelving Location Status Due Date
Bloomfield Eastern Greene Co PL - Bloomfield Main 338.973 JOH (Text) 36803000684634 NONFIC Available -
Brookston Prairie Twp PL - Brookston 338.973 JOH (Text) 38209000796063 Non-Fiction Available -
Cambridge City PL - Cambridge City 338.9 (Text) 76893000241539 Adult Nonfiction Available -
Carnegie PL of Steuben Co - Angola 338.973 JOH (Text) 33118000119665 Adult: Nonfiction Available -
Culver-Union Twp PL - Culver 338.97 JOH (Text) 34304000068722 Adult - Nonfiction Available -
Fulton Co PL - Rochester Main Library 338.973 JOH (Text) 33187002651707 Nonfiction Reshelving -
Garrett PL - Garrett 338.973 JOH (Text) 30010170497419 Nonfiction Available -
Greensburg-Decatur Co PL - Greensburg 338.973 JOH (Text) 32826011546256 Adult Non-Fiction Available -
Hamilton North PL - Cicero Main Branch 338.973.c Johnston (Text) 78294000210931 Adult Non-Fiction Available -
Indiana State Library - Indianapolis ISLM HC110.S9 J64 2007 (Text) 00000105362750 General book Available -
Next 10 »

Record details

  • ISBN: 9781591841913
  • ISBN: 1591841917
  • Physical Description: viii, 323 pages ; 24 cm
  • Publisher: New York : Portfolio, 2007.

Content descriptions

Bibliography, etc. Note: Includes bibliographical references and index.
Formatted Contents Note: Preface -- ch. 1. Without even asking -- ch. 2. Mr. Reagan's question -- ch. 3. Trust and consequences -- ch. 4. Chinese magnetism -- ch. 5. Seizing the commons -- ch. 6. Pride and profits -- ch. 7. Your land is my land -- ch. 8. Bounty hunters -- ch. 9. Goin' fishin' -- ch. 10. Just say no -- ch. 11. Beauty and the bounty -- ch. 12. False alarm -- ch. 13. Home robbery -- ch. 14. Indentured scholars -- ch. 15. Selling the furniture -- ch. 16. Suffer the little children -- ch. 17. Trojan horse -- ch. 18. Sightless sheriffs -- ch. 19. Paying twice -- ch. 20. Rising snow -- ch. 21. Unhealthy economics -- ch. 22. Less for more -- ch. 23. Hooked on drugs -- ch. 24. "I'm being trapped" -- ch. 25. None dare call it stealing -- ch. 26. Not since Hoover -- Conclusions : What to do?
Summary, etc.: How does a strong and growing economy lend itself to job uncertainty, debt, bankruptcy, and economic fear for a vast number of Americans? This book answers this great economic question, revealing how today's government policies and spending benefit the wealthy. Johnston shows how, under the guise of deregulation, a whole new set of regulations quietly went into effect--thwarting competition, depressing wages, and rewarding misconduct. Revelations include: how we ended up with the most expensive yet inefficient health-care system in the world; how homeowners' title insurance became a costly, deceitful, yet almost invisible oligopoly; how our government gives hidden subsidies for posh golf courses; how baseball team owners will collect more than $1.3 billion in public funds. In these instances and more, Johnston shows how the lobbyists and lawyers representing the most powerful 0.1 percent of Americans manipulated our government at the expense of the other 99.9 percent.--From publisher description.
Subject: Capitalism > Moral and ethical aspects > United States.
Income distribution > United States.
Equality > Economic aspects > United States.
Rich people > United States.
Lobbyists > United States.
United States > Politics and government.
Subsidies > United States.
Finanzierungshilfe
USA.
Personal finance.

Additional Resources