Marjorie Wood "The Cathedral Library at Vincennes, Indiana" collection 1941
- 1 of 1 copy available at Evergreen Indiana.
0 current holds with 1 total copy.
|Location||Call Number / Copy Notes||Barcode||Shelving Location||Status||Due Date|
|Indiana State Library - Indianapolis||[Mss I] ISLI S2340 (Text)||234001-156448||Manuscripts||Available||-|
- Physical Description: 0.01 Cubic feet 1 folder
|General Note:|| Processing Information: Collection processing completed 2016/03/31 by Linda Gellert. EAD finding aid created 2016/03/31 by Linda Gellert.
|Restrictions on Access Note:|| This collection is open for research.
|Summary, etc.:|| This collection includes 12 page original typed manuscript from Marjorie Wood in Vincennes, Indiana, in 1941, regarding her original manuscript, "The Cathedral Library at Vincennes, Indiana".
|Preferred Citation of Described Materials Note:|| Marjorie Wood "The Cathedral Library at Vincennes, Indiana" collection, Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library
|Terms Governing Use and Reproduction Note:|| Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library, Indianapolis, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Rare Books and Manuscripts.
|Biographical or Historical Data:|| Known as the Old Cathedral, the present church dates to 1826, the oldest Catholic cathedral in Indiana. Inside, an exquisite collection of art illustrates Catholic history and tenets, including nineteenth- and early twentieth-century murals, sculpture, and stained glass. The pillars that support the cathedral's ornate arched ceiling are made from giant yellow poplar trees harvested from a nearby farm and encased in plaster painted to resemble marble. The cathedral's complex includes an 1841 rectory and a French and Indian cemetery, where more than four thousand of the state's earliest settlers are buried, including soldiers and patriots of the American Revolution. The Old Cathedral Library and Museum displays historic books (including rare volumes dating to the 1300s) and early Bibles, paintings, vestments, and manuscripts from the church's early registries. Though the original library dates to 1840, the building is still there, the collection has been moved to a newer building. Pope Paul VI elevated the Old Cathedral to Minor Basilica status in 1970, an honor reserved for only the most historic Catholic churches.Source:Indiana Landmarks: http://www.indianalandmarks.org/tours/heritage-travel/pages/map.aspx?LocationID=33
|Ownership and Custodial History:|| This collection was received by Rare Books and Manuscripts as a donation from Marjorie Wood in 1941.
|Accumulation and Frequency of Use Note:|| No further additions are expected.
Search for related items by subject
St. Francis Xavier Cathedral Library (Vincennes, Ind.)