Catalog

Record Details

Catalog Search



Indiana School for the Blind 1893 fire collection 1893

Image of item

Electronic resources

Available copies

  • 1 of 1 copy available at Evergreen Indiana.

Current holds

0 current holds with 1 total copy.

Location Call Number / Copy Notes Barcode Shelving Location Status Due Date
Indiana State Library - Indianapolis [Mss I] ISLI S1600 (Text) 16001-106542 Manuscripts Available -

Record details

  • Physical Description: 0.01 Cubic feet 1 folder

Content descriptions

General Note: Processing Information: Collection processing completed 2016/4/7 by Nikki Stoddard Schofield. EAD finding aid completed 2016/4/7 by Nikki Stoddard Schofield. EAD finding aid revised 2016/05/10 by Brittany Kropf.
Restrictions on Access Note: This collection is open for research.
Summary, etc.: This collection includes a one-page account of the fire at the Indiana School for the Blind in Indianapolis, Indiana on August 2, 1893 and two clippings about the fire from the local newspapers.
Preferred Citation of Described Materials Note: Indiana School for the Blind 1893 fire collection, Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction Note: Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library, Indianapolis, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Rare Books and Manuscripts.
Biographical or Historical Data: The Indiana School for the Blind was established in 1847 by an act of the General Assembly in Indianapolis, Indiana through the efforts of William H. Churchman, who lost his sight as a child, and reform efforts in education for the blind. The school was located on the block between Meridan, Pennsylvania, North and St. Clair streets. On August 2, 1893, the school building caught fire about 11:00 am in the attic of the building's east wing, supposedly from the fire pots of workmen repairing the roof. The fire was controlled and the cost for the repairs were estimated at less than $500. No one was injured as the students were away on summer vacation and repairs were completed in time for the start of school term in September.In 1930, the school relocated to a 60-acre campus at 7725 North College Avenue. In 2007, the school was renamed the Indiana School for the Blind and Visually Impaired and continues to assist and educate Indiana residents who are blind or have low vision. The institution offers an on-campus residential program for K-12 students, up to age 22. Sources:Items in the collection.Cottman, George S. "The Founding of the State School for the Blind: A Biography of William H. Churchman." Indiana Magazine of History 10 (1914): 77-82. Accessed May 10, 2016. http://books.google.com.Indiana School for the Blind & Visually Impaired. "About ISBVI." 2012. Accessed May 10, 2016. https://sites.google.com/site/isbvik12/school/aboutisbvi.Jordan B. Ryan, 'Indiana School for the Blind' Discover Indiana, accessed May 10, 2016, http://indyhist.iupui.edu/items/show/20.
Ownership and Custodial History: This collection was received by Rare Books and Manuscripts as a donation.
Accumulation and Frequency of Use Note: No further additions are expected.
Subject: Indiana School for the Blind.
Blind > Education.
Fires > Indiana > Indianapolis > Personal narratives.
Schools > Indiana > History > 19th century.
Indianapolis (Ind.)
Genre: Clippings

Additional Resources