Indianapolis Bar Association collection 1878
- 1 of 1 copy available at Evergreen Indiana.
0 current holds with 1 total copy.
|Location||Call Number / Copy Notes||Barcode||Shelving Location||Status||Due Date|
|Indiana State Library - Indianapolis||[Mss I] ISLI S1596 (Text)||00000106178502||Manuscripts||Available||-|
- Physical Description: 0.01 Cubic feet 1 folder
Processing Information: Collection processing and finding aid completed 2016/03/31 by Nikki Stoddard Schofield.
|Restrictions on Access Note:||
This collection is open for research.
There are two cards in this collection. One is a calling card for the Indianapolis Bar Association, Citizens National Bank, 11-13 East Washington Street, Indianapolis, Indiana, 1878-1879. The officers printed on the card are: Napoleon B. Taylor, President; John T. Dye, Vice President; and John A. Henry, Secretary.The second item is larger and is a blank application for membership card. The annual dues printed on the card were $5.00.
|Preferred Citation of Described Materials Note:||
Indianapolis Bar Association collection, Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library
|Terms Governing Use and Reproduction Note:||
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library, Indianapolis, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Rare Books and Manuscripts.
|Biographical or Historical Data:||
On November 30, 1878, in the law offices of Dye and Harris, forty prominent Indianapolis attorneys, including future U.S. President Benjamin Harrison and U.S. Vice President Charles W. Fairbanks, met in the hopes of creating a common organization "in which lawyers may exchange ideas, maintain the honor and dignity of the profession of law, cultivate social intercourse among its members and increase the usefulness in promoting the due administration of justice." And under the leadership of Indiana Bar Association's first president Napoleon B. Taylor, the Indianapolis Bar Association was formed.In the association's original bylaws, the founding members set the course for the future by making provisions for committees on admission, amendments of the law, grievances, liaison with the judiciary and legal education. The association's first priority was to form a law library and reading room for use by judges, attorneys and students, and by 1910 over 7,000 volumes had been acquired.And while the Indianapolis Bar Association has grown considerably from its first 40 members to over 5,100 today, it still strives to fulfill many of the original ideals and commitments as it is guided by a new, yet similar, mission statement-to serve our members, promote justice and enhance the legal profession.Source:https://www.indybar.org/index.cfm?pg=OurHistory
|Ownership and Custodial History:||
This collection was received by Rare Books and Manuscripts as a donation.
|Accumulation and Frequency of Use Note:||
No further additions are expected.
Search for related items by subject