- 1 of 1 copy available at Evergreen Indiana.
0 current holds with 1 total copy.
|Location||Call Number / Copy Notes||Barcode||Shelving Location||Status||Due Date|
|Indiana State Library - Indianapolis||[Mss I] ISLI L203 (Text)||203001-10065||Manuscripts||Available||-|
- Physical Description: 0.3 Cubic feet 1 manuscript box
|General Note:|| Processing Information: Collection processing completed 2016/03/21 by Edythe Huffman. EAD finding aid created 2016/03/21 by Edythe Huffman.
|Restrictions on Access Note:|| This collection is open for research.
|Summary, etc.:|| This collection includes minute books; membership lists; miscellaneous documents; contracts and letters ranging from 1885-1921 regarding the organization.
|Preferred Citation of Described Materials Note:|| Indiana Academy of Science collection, Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library
|Terms Governing Use and Reproduction Note:|| Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library, Indianapolis, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Rare Books and Manuscripts.
|Biographical or Historical Data:|| The Brookville Society of Natural History of 1881 was the forerunner of the Indiana Academy of Science, which was incorporated in Indiana on December 21, 1887. The first volume of the "Proceedings of the Indiana Academy of Science", published in 1892, covered the 1885-1891 activities. This volume and the 1893 and 1894 volumes were financed by individual and business contributions and printed in Terre Haute. A plan to seek state aid for publication was launched in 1890 and was approved in March of 1895.The Academy originally provided for a librarian in its first constitution of December 29, 1885. In 1898 a tentative agreement between the Academy and the Indiana State Library gave custody of Academy materials to the State Library although they remained Academy property. As a member of the Academy Library Committee, John S. Wright played a prominent part in making the arrangement and providing financial help. Later, in 1899, the Academy acquired the library of the Brookville Society of Natural History and investigated having the entire collection cataloged by the State Library. An initial Academy/State Library agreement was further revised in 1905 and 1907. The 1907 agreement remains in effect today. Essentially, the current agreement provides that in return for housing and maintaining the Academy collection, the State Library will have use of the material. Also, the agreement stipulates that the State Library will use exchange copies of Academy publications to build the Academy's collection, and that the State Library will pay for non-member distribution of "Proceedings".Source:"The Indiana Academy of Science". Retrieved 2016/03/21. http://www.indianaacademyofscience.org/The-Academy/History-of-the-Indiana-Academy-of-Science.aspx
|Ownership and Custodial History:|| This collection was received by Rare Books and Manuscripts as a donation.
|Accumulation and Frequency of Use Note:|| No further additions are expected.
Search for related items by subject
Indiana Academy of Science.
Science > Indiana > Societies, etc.