|| Processing Information: Collection processing and finding aid completed by Nikki Stoddard Schofield on 2014/07/10.
|Restrictions on Access Note:
|| This collection is open for research.
|| Arthur R. Cochran, of the Vincennes Sun Commercial, wrote this four-page article. The Indianapolis News used some of Mr. Cochran's information for its article published on Wednesday, July 27, 1949. The Francis Vigo Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution began in Vincennes in 1908 with thirteen charter members, and had 230 in 1949 when this article was written. They became interested in preserving the William Henry Harrison home in 1910, and, after many years of work and fundraising, became owners of the property in 1935. The article tells about the other uses of the large brick house after the Harrison family moved out in 1843. The building was a warehouse for storing grain, a hotel, a family residence, and a property of the Water Supply Company. The D.A.R. chapter has held its meetings in the parlor of the house from 1914 to the present (1949). In 1948, more than seven thousand people toured the historic house.
|Preferred Citation of Described Materials Note:
|| William Henry Harrison home collection, Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library
|Terms Governing Use and Reproduction Note:
|| Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library, Indianapolis, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Rare Books and Manuscripts.
|Biographical or Historical Data:
|| In 1908, the Francis Vigo Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution had thirteen charter members. Beginning in 1910, the women became interested in preserving the William Henry Harrison house located at Scott and Park streets, about 600 feet from the Wabash River, in Vincennes, Indiana. William Henry Harrison was governor of the Indiana Territory and U.S. President. The Harrison family lived in the brick house until 1843.
|Ownership and Custodial History:
|| This collection was received by Rare Books and Manuscripts as a donation from Sexson E. Humphreys in 1949/08.
|Accumulation and Frequency of Use Note:
|| No further additions are expected.