Polk Sanitary Milk Company collection 1904-1961 and undated
- 1 of 1 copy available at Evergreen Indiana.
0 current holds with 1 total copy.
|Location||Call Number / Copy Notes||Barcode||Shelving Location||Status||Due Date|
|Indiana State Library - Indianapolis||[Mss I] ISLI L212 (Text)||00000106297286||Manuscripts||Available||-|
- Physical Description: 1.0 Cubic feet 2 manuscript boxes
|General Note:|| Processing Information: Collection processing completed 2016/03/30 by Edythe Huffman. EAD finding aid created 2016/03/30 by Edythe Huffman.
|Restrictions on Access Note:|| This collection is open for research.
|Summary, etc.:|| This collection includes company account books and microfilmed copies of drivers' route sheets from Polk Sanitary Milk Company; records of the Mecca Realty Company; and records of the Citizens Brewery Company in Indianapolis, Indiana ranging from 1904-1961 regarding business, financial and legal matters.
|Preferred Citation of Described Materials Note:|| Polk Sanitary Milk Company collection, Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library
|Terms Governing Use and Reproduction Note:|| Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library, Indianapolis, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Rare Books and Manuscripts.
|Biographical or Historical Data:|| Polk Sanitary Milk Company was started in 1872 as a canned tomatoes company by Civil War veteran James T. Polk and his wife, Laura (Burdick) Polk in their Greenwood, Indiana home. As the company expanded, it produced scrap agricultural produce, which they bought cows to utilize. They sold the milk to Tanglewood Dairy Company (Indianapolis, Indiana), which they bought out in the 1890s. The company expanded to a new building at the corner of N. 15th and Lewis St., adding 2 oversize sculptures of milk bottles to 2 corners of the building. "Pok-o-lak" was their signature buttermilk product. The business was managed by the couple's daughter and son-in-law into the 1940s. The business experienced financial hardships in the 1950s and closed around 1963. The building became the property of Indianapolis Public Schools, which demolished it in 1967. The Polk family also owned the Mecca Realty Company of Indianapolis.Information found within the collection."Indianapolis Then and Now: Polk Sanitary Milk Company". Historicindianapolis.com. Retrieved 2016/03/23. http://historicindianapolis.com
|Ownership and Custodial History:|| This collection was received by Rare Books and Manuscripts as a donation from Polk Sanitary Milk Company in 1963.
|Accumulation and Frequency of Use Note:|| No further additions are expected.
Search for related items by subject
|Subject:||Citizens Brewery (Indianapolis, Ind.)
Milk trade > Indiana.
Milk supply > Indiana.