Record Details

Catalog Search

Whitewater Canal Association minutes 1941 December 13

Whitewater Canal Association, creator. (Author).
Image of item

Electronic resources

Available copies

  • 1 of 1 copy available at Evergreen Indiana.

Current holds

0 current holds with 1 total copy.

Location Call Number / Copy Notes Barcode Shelving Location Status Due Date
Indiana State Library - Indianapolis [Mss I] ISLI S2329 (Text) 00000106199839 Manuscripts Available -

Record details

  • Physical Description: 0.01 Cubic feet 1 folder

Content descriptions

General Note: Processing Information: Collection processing completed 2015/12/17 by Linda Gellert. EAD finding aid created 2015/12/17 by Linda Gellert. EAD finding aid revised 2016/02/04 by Brittany Kropf.
Restrictions on Access Note: This collection is open for research.
Summary, etc.: This collection includes a three-page copy of the minutes from Whitewater Canal Association at the Hotel Lincoln in Brookville, Indiana on December 13, 1941 regarding the restoration of the Whitewater Canal. Meeting discussion revolved around the impact of World War II on efforts to restore portions of the canal.
Preferred Citation of Described Materials Note: Whitewater Canal Association minutes, Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction Note: Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library, Indianapolis, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Rare Books and Manuscripts.
Biographical or Historical Data: The Whitewater Canal project was originally part of the Mammoth Internal Improvements Act passed by theIndiana legislature in 1836. Before long, the state went bankrupt and construction of the canal resumed under a private company, which completed the canal to Brookville, Indiana in 1843, Connersville in 1845, and Cambridge City in 1846. Chronic problems such as flooding, eroding banks, low water levels, and decaying locks kept thecanal from making a profit.In 1940, a movement began to restore the canal at its southern end. The Whitewater Canal Association was organized on October 21, 1941 in Connersville, Indiana, and the decision to incorporate was determined at its second meeting on November 16, 1941 in Brookville, Indiana. John P. Goodwin of Brookville and Cornelius O'Brien of Lawrenceburg led the organization.
Ownership and Custodial History: This collection was received by Rare Books and Manuscripts as a donation from the Whitewater Canal Association in 1942/01
Accumulation and Frequency of Use Note: No further additions are expected.
Subject: Canals > Indiana.
Whitewater Canal (Ind. and Ohio)
Genre: Minutes (Records)

Additional Resources