Booker T. Washington Grade School building collection 1931
- 1 of 1 copy available at Evergreen Indiana.
0 current holds with 1 total copy.
|Location||Call Number / Copy Notes||Barcode||Shelving Location||Status||Due Date|
|Indiana State Library - Indianapolis||[Mss I] ISLI S3327 (Text)||332701-1006||Manuscripts||Available||-|
- Physical Description: 0.01 Cubic feet 1 folder
|General Note:|| Processing Information: Collection processing completed 2016/02/04 by Nikki Stoddard Schofield. EAD finding aid created 2016/02/04 by Nikki Stoddard Schofield. EAD finding aid revised 2016/02/18 by Brittany Kropf.
|Restrictions on Access Note:|| This collection is open for research.
|Summary, etc.:|| This collection includes a 78-page unbound booklet created by by Henkel & Hanson, Architects and Engineers of Connersville, Indiana, for William F. Vogel, school superintendent, dated October 31, 1931. The specifications booklet, gives the proposed building plan for the Booker T. Washington Grade School in Shelbyville, Indiana, including the stone work, terrazzo work, sheet metal work, roofing, blackboards, and so on for the building.
|Preferred Citation of Described Materials Note:|| Booker T. Washington Grade School building collection, Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library
|Terms Governing Use and Reproduction Note:|| Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library, Indianapolis, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Rare Books and Manuscripts.
|Biographical or Historical Data:|| Booker T. Washington Elementary School was located at the corner of Howard Street and Harrison Street, in Shelbyville, Indiana/. The school, originally called School No. 2, was established in 1870 after the Indiana General Assembly passed a law providing money for a separate school for African-American children. The school taught grades 1-8, and later added a kindergarten, for many years before sending the 7th and 8th-grade students to Shelbyville Junior High School. Around 1900, School No. 2 was renamed the Booker T. Washington School and had three teachers. The State Board of Health condemned the building in 1914 and by 1930, the editors of the Indianapolis Recorder, Indiana's most widely-read, black newspaper, demanded improvements. A WPA project stuccoed and whitewashed the school's exterior in 1934, but little else changed: the school had two classrooms for six grades, two teachers, no cafeteria, and no gym. The school closed in 1949 when the state mandated racial integration and the school board leased the building to the Shelbyville Park and Recreation board to use as a recreation center. The building was sold at public auction in 1971.Sources:Shelby County Historical Society. Shelby County, Indiana History & Families, vol. 1. (Paducah, KY: Turner Publishing Company, 1992), 101. Accessed Febraury 18, 2016. http://books.google.com. Graham, Tom, and Rachel Graham Cody. Getting Open: The Unknown Story of Bill Garrett and the Integration of College Basketball. (Bloomington, IN: Indiana University Press, 2008), 5. Accessed Febraury 18, 2016. http://books.google.com.
|Ownership and Custodial History:|| This collection was received by Rare Books and Manuscripts as a donation from Paula Karmine on 2013/5/20.
|Accumulation and Frequency of Use Note:|| No further additions are expected.
Search for related items by subject
African American schools >
Shelby County (Ind.)