Whitewater valley railroad / Francis H Parker.
View other formats and editions
- ISBN: 9781439644928 (electronic bk)
- Publisher: San Francisco : Arcadia Publishing, 2015.
Title from eBook information screen.
The Whitewater Valley Railroad is a historic line in scenic southeastern Indiana. It was completed to Connersville in 1867, linking the towns of the Whitewater Valley to Cincinnati over the former towpath of the Whitewater Canal (1836–1862). Originally named the White Water Valley Railroad, the line went through several name changes before being absorbed by the Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago & St. Louis (the "Big Four") in 1890 and later by the New York Central, the parent company of the Big Four. After merging with the Pennsylvania Railroad in 1968, the line became the Penn Central before closing in 1972 between Brookville and Connersville. It was slated for abandonment when a group of volunteers stepped in to create the Whitewater Valley Railroad, which ran its first tourist passenger trains in 1974. The nonprofit volunteer organization celebrates its 40th anniversary of operations in 2014.
|System Details Note:||
Requires OverDrive Read (file size: N/A KB) or Adobe Digital Editions (file size: 94616 KB) or Adobe Digital Editions (file size: 27898 KB) or Amazon Kindle (file size: N/A KB).
Search for related items by subject
Search for related items by series