- 1 of 1 copy available at Evergreen Indiana.
0 current holds with 1 total copy.
|Location||Call Number / Copy Notes||Barcode||Shelving Location||Status||Due Date|
|Indiana State Library - Indianapolis||[Mss I] ISLI L570 (Text)||5701-1003||Manuscripts||Available||-|
- Physical Description: 47.6 Cubic feet 135 manuscript boxes, 28 volumes, 2 oversize folders
|General Note:|| Processing Information: Initial collection processing completed during 1991. Additional processing and finding aid completed during December 2012 by Sarah Pfundstein and on 2014/02/17 by Edythe Huffman. EAD finding aid created 2014/12/23 by Edythe Huffman.
|Restrictions on Access Note:|| This collection is open for research.
|Summary, etc.:|| This collection consists of inactive files from the library's administration. Included are print materials and charts, audiovisual materials and newspaper clippings from Indiana State Library staff and others in Indiana ranging from 1841 to 2014 regarding the Governor's Conference on Indiana Libraries, the Indiana State Library's collection, history, building, staff, acquisitions, minutes from various meetings, boards and other topics.
|Preferred Citation of Described Materials Note:|| Indiana State Library collection, Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library
|Terms Governing Use and Reproduction Note:|| Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library, Indianapolis, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Rare Books and Manuscripts.
|Location of Other Archival Materials Note:|| Materials relating to this collection may be found in the following collections in Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library, Indianapolis, IN: L282: Harold F. Brigham papers, 1941-1955 L447: Nellie M. Coats collection, circa 1859-1973S269: Nellie M. Coats collection, 1859-1973S176: Demarchus C. Brown collection, 1908-1928, undated S3234: Indiana State Library 125th Anniversary
|Biographical or Historical Data:|| The Indiana State library was created by the General Assembly in 1827 as a research library for use by legislators and government officials. In 1925, the library was combined with the Public Library Commission, the Historical Bureau, and the Legislative Reference Bureau to create the Indiana State Library and Historical Board. In 1929, a special levy of two cents applied over three years was created to raise funds for a new building and property that was located at the corner of Ohio Street and Senate Avenue in Indianapolis, Indiana. The building was renovated twice, first in 1971 and later in 2000. The library's collection contains over two million volumes and three million manuscripts as well as federal documents, microfilm, and maps. The original conception of the State Library as an institution for the use of legislators and state officials has never been lost, but a multitude of activities have gradually been added throughout the years to meet new needs and changing conditions. Books, serials, and special materials are still procured for use of officers and employees of the several departments. The care of all public records devolves upon the library so far as they are no longer of current use. This archives material has been preserved with little attention in the past. A large amount of storage space will be available in the future and proper care can be given to the public records of the state in the archives section of the library. The law permits the custody of local records from towns and counties, also. The administrative and cataloging divisions of the library are supervisory and preparatory. The service divisions include reference, lending, Indiana history, and extension.Information found within the collection.
|Ownership and Custodial History:|| This collection was received by Rare Books and Manuscripts as a records transfer on various dates.
|Accumulation and Frequency of Use Note:|| The repository continues to add materials to this collection on a regular basis.
Search for related items by subject