Monon Railroad Company collection 1946-1972, undated
- 1 of 1 copy available at Evergreen Indiana.
0 current holds with 1 total copy.
|Location||Call Number / Copy Notes||Barcode||Shelving Location||Status||Due Date|
|Indiana State Library - Indianapolis||[Mss I] ISLI L101 (Text)||00000106296890||Manuscripts||Available||-|
- Physical Description: 0.5 Cubic feet 1 manuscript box
Processing Information: Collection processing completed 2015/03/18 by Edythe Huffman. EAD finding aid created 2015/03/18 by Edythe Huffman.
|Restrictions on Access Note:||
This collection is open for research.
This collection includes signed letters, stock transaction records, ledgers, company reports, newspaper clippings, railroad ticket stubs and holders, business cards and memorabilia from railroad officials and others in Indiana, Kentucky, Illinois and other locations ranging from 1946 to 1972 and undated regarding the Monon Railroad organization.
|Preferred Citation of Described Materials Note:||
Monon Railroad Company collection, Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library
|Terms Governing Use and Reproduction Note:||
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library, Indianapolis, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Rare Books and Manuscripts.
|Location of Other Archival Materials Note:||
Materials relating to this collection may be found in the following collections in Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library, Indianapolis, IN: L317: Monon Railroad research collection
|Biographical or Historical Data:||
The New Albany-Salem Rail Road was founded in July 8, 1847, running from the Ohio River at New Albany, Indiana Salem, Indiana. By 1854 the railroad was complete, connecting the Ohio River at New Albany with Lake Michigan at Michigan City, Indiana. The railroad went into receivership in 1858 and when it emerged,the name became the Louisville, New Albany and Chicago Railroad. Morgan's Raiders attacked the railroad lines during the Civil War. In April, 1865, a Monon engine pulled President Abraham Lincoln's funeral train over the 90 miles from Lafayette to Michigan City.In 1897, the name was changed again to the Chicago, Indianapolis and Louisville Railroad. The nickname "Monon" came from the fact that the lines added to the system crossed in Monon, Indiana. Monon is an Indian word, perhaps meaning "tote" or "swift running". The Chicago,Indianapolis and Louisville Railway Company was reorganized as the Monon Railroad "The Hoosier Line" (headquartered in Chicago, Illinois), beginning in 1946 and effective in 1956. The Monon Railroad was the first class "A" railroad to become fully dieselized. It became an all-freight line in 1967, when the last of its passenger trains, the Thoroughbred, ceased running. Indiana limestone was used to construct the Empire State building, the Pentagon, the National Cathedral, the Washington monument, and countless private buildings, museums, bridges, churches, walkways, monuments, statues, and gravestones. Each new slab of Indiana limestone rode a Monon flatcar first, wherever its destination.The Monon Railroad then merged into Louisville and Nashville Railroad, effective July 31, 1971, with Louisville and Nashville Railroad (headquartered in Louisville, KY) becoming the surviving corporation. Some of the former Monon right of way is operated today by CSX Transportation.Information found within the collection."History Of The Monon". Monon Railroad Historical Technical Society. Retrieved 2015/03/16. http://www.monon.org/history.php"The Monon Railroad". The Dept - Railroad Museum. Retrieved 2015/03/16. http://salemdepot.com/monon-rr.html
|Ownership and Custodial History:||
This collection was received by Rare Books and Manuscripts as a donation.
|Accumulation and Frequency of Use Note:||
No further additions are expected.
Search for related items by subject
|Subject:||Louisville and Nashville Railroad Company. Monon Division.
Seaboard Coast Line Railroad.
Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.)