The dancing universe : from creation myths to the big bang / Marcelo Gleiser.
View other formats and editions
- ISBN: 9781611683950 (electronic bk.)
- ISBN: 1611683955 (electronic bk.)
- Physical Description: 1 online resource (xiii, 338 pages) : illustrations.
- Edition: First Dartmouth College/UPNE paperback ed.
- Publisher: Hanover, NH : Dartmouth College Press, 
- Copyright: ©2005
|Bibliography, etc. Note:||
Includes bibliographical references (pages -325) and index.
|Formatted Contents Note:||
Creation myths -- The Greeks -- The sun, the church, and the new astronomy -- The pious heretic -- The triumph of reason -- The world is an intricate machine -- Of things fast -- Of things small -- Inventing universes -- Beginnings -- Epilogue: Dancing with the universe.
Surveying scientists' and philosophers' ideas about the universe over the past twenty-five centuries, a prominent physicist plumbs the relationship between science and mythology, showing how recent theories of the universe's origin recall ancient creation myths.
|Source of Description Note:||
Description based on print version record.
Search for related items by subject
SCIENCE / Cosmology.
Search for related items by series