View other formats and editions
- ISBN: 9780061712272 (electronic bk. : Adobe Reader)
- ISBN: 0061712272 (electronic bk. : Adobe Reader)
- ISBN: 9780061712289 (electronic bk. : Mobipocket Reader)
- ISBN: 0061712280 (electronic bk. : Mobipocket Reader)
- Physical Description: 1 online resource
- Publisher: Pymble, NSW ; HarperCollins e-books, 2008.
|Summary, etc.:|| The year is 1929, and newlyweds George and Serena Pemberton travel from Boston to the North Carolina mountains where they plan to create a timber empire. Although George has already lived in the camp long enough to father an illegitimate child, Serena is new to the mountains--but she soon shows herself to be the equal of any man, overseeing crews, hunting rattle-snakes, even saving her husband's life in the wilderness. Together this lord and lady of the woodlands ruthlessly kill or vanquish all who fall out of favor. Yet when Serena learns that she will never bear a child, she sets out to murder the son George fathered without her. Mother and child begin a struggle for their lives, and when Serena suspects George is protecting his illegitimate family, the Pembertons' intense, passionate marriage starts to unravel as the story moves toward its shocking reckoning ...
Search for related items by subject
|Subject:||Lumber trade > Fiction.
Avarice > Fiction.
Corruption > Fiction.
Environmentalism > Fiction.
North Carolina > History > 20th century > Fiction.