The hunchback of Notre Dame [electronic resource] / Victor Hugo ; revised translation and notes by Catherine Liu ; introduction by Elizabeth McCracken.
- ISBN: 9780307417152 (electronic bk.)
- ISBN: 0307417158 (electronic bk.)
- Physical Description: 1 online resource (539 p.)
- Edition: Modern Library pbk. ed.
- Publisher: New York : Modern Library, 2004.
|Summary, etc.:|| The beautiful gypsy Esmeralda is condemned as a witch by the tormented archdeacon Claude Frollo, who lusts after her. But Quasimodo, the deformed bell ringer of Notre-Dame Cathedral, having fallen in love with her, tries to save her by hiding her in the cathedral's tower. When a crowd of Parisian peasants, misunderstanding Quasimodo's motives, attacks the church in an attempt to liberate her, the story ends in tragedy.
Search for related items by subject
Paris (France) >
To 1515 >
France > History > Louis XI, 1461-1483 > Fiction.
French fiction > Translations into English.