- 1 of 1 copy available at Evergreen Indiana.
0 current holds with 1 total copy.
|Location||Call Number / Copy Notes||Barcode||Shelving Location||Status||Due Date|
|Indiana State Library - Indianapolis||[Mss I] ISLI L075 (Text)||00000106296536||Manuscripts||Available||-|
- Physical Description: 0.3 Cubic feet 1 manuscript box
Processing Information: Collection processing and finding aid completed by Brent Abercrombie during September 2009. EAD finding aid completed by Bethany Fiechter on 2018/04/06.
|Restrictions on Access Note:||
This collection is open for research.
The collection consists primarily of Hovey family letters, including correspondence between Hovey and his fiancee/wife. Also included in the collections are letters describing the move from Vermont to Indiana, as well as their living conditions in Fountain County (1831 -1834). The collection contains transcribed letters of Hovey while he was at Dartmouth College, Andover Seminary, letters of his time at Wabash College, and correspondence with Charles White regarding White's appointment as Wabash College president.
|Preferred Citation of Described Materials Note:||
Edmund Otis Hovey collection, Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library
|Terms Governing Use and Reproduction Note:||
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library, Indianapolis, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Rare Books and Manuscripts.
|Biographical or Historical Data:||
Edmund Hovey was a Presbyterian minister in Fountain County and western Indiana from 1832-1877. Hovey graduated from Dartmouth College in 1828 and Andover Seminary in 1831. Also in 1831, Hovey married Mary Carter and moved from Vermont to Coal Creek (Fountain County), Indiana. Hovey was one of the founders of Wabash College and trustee (1832-1877). At Wabash, Hovey was a professor of rhetoric, geology, as well as several other subjects. Hovey also served as a college financial officer and school agent. Hovey died in 1877.
|Ownership and Custodial History:||
This collection was received by Rare Books and Manuscripts as a donation from H.H. Raymond on 1951/06/05.
|Accumulation and Frequency of Use Note:||
No further additions are expected.
Search for related items by subject
Andover Theological Seminary.
Clergy > Indiana.
College presidents > Indiana.
Universities and colleges > Indiana.
Fountain County (Ind.)