Year of wonders : a novel of the plague / Geraldine Brooks.
- ISBN: 9781101079157 (electronic bk. : Adobe Digital Editions)
- ISBN: 1101079150 (electronic bk. : Adobe Digital Editions)
- ISBN: 9781101079195 (electronic bk. : Adobe Digital Editions)
- ISBN: 1101079193 (electronic bk. : Adobe Digital Editions)
- ISBN: 9781101079188 (electronic bk. : Mobipocket Reader)
- ISBN: 1101079185 (electronic bk. : Mobipocket Reader)
- Physical Description: 308 pages, 11 pages : map ; 20 cm
- Publisher: New York : Penguin Books, 2002.
|General Note:|| Originally published: New York : Viking, 2001.
|Summary, etc.:|| This gripping historical novel is based on the true story of Eyam, the "Plague Village," in the rugged mountain spine of England. In 1666, a tainted bolt of cloth from London carries bubonic infection to this isolated settlement of shepherds and lead miners. A visionary young preacher convinces the villagers to seal themselves off in a deadly quarantine to prevent the spread of disease. The story is told through the eyes of eighteen-year-old Anna Frith, the vicar's maid, as she confronts the loss of her family, the disintegration of her community, and the lure of a dangerous and illicit love. As the death toll rises and people turn from prayers and herbal cures to sorcery and murderous witch-hunting, Anna emerges as an unlikely and courageous heroine in the village's desperate fight to save itself.
|Target Audience Note:|| 1080 Lexile.
|Reproduction Note:|| Electronic reproduction. New York : Penguin USA, Inc., 2009. Requires Adobe Digital Editions (file size: 12359 KB) or Adobe Digital Editions (file size: 606 KB) or Mobipocket Reader (file size: 608 KB).
Search for related items by subject
|Subject:||Great Britain > History > Charles II, 1660-1685 > Fiction.
Plague > Fiction.