A practical guide to autism : what every parent, family member, and teacher needs to know / Fred R. Volkmar, Lisa A. Wiesner.
- ISBN: 9780470502587 (electronic bk. : Adobe Digital Editions)
- ISBN: 0470502584 (electronic bk. : Adobe Digital Editions)
- ISBN: 9780470502617 (electronic bk. : Adobe Digital Editions)
- ISBN: 0470502614 (electronic bk. : Adobe Digital Editions)
- ISBN: 9780470502594 (electronic bk. : Mobipocket Reader)
- ISBN: 0470502592 (electronic bk. : Mobipocket Reader)
- Physical Description: 1 online resource (xiii, 610 pages) : illustrations
- Publisher: Hoboken, N.J. : John Wiley & Sons, 
- Copyright: ©2009
|Bibliography, etc. Note:|| Includes bibliographical references and index.
|Formatted Contents Note:|| What is autism? -- What causes autism? -- Getting a diagnosis -- Getting services -- An overview of educational programs -- Educational interventions -- Working with young children -- Working with school-aged children -- Adolescence, adulthood, and the future -- Managing medical issues and problems -- Ensuring safety -- Dealing with seizures -- Dealing with regression -- Dealing with behavior problems -- Considering medications for behavior problems -- Managing sensory issues -- Managing sleep and sleep problems -- Considering complementary and alternative treatments -- Managing sibling and family issues -- Appendix. Criteria for autism.
|Summary, etc.:|| Autism is in the public spotlight now more than ever as new research and information appears almost daily. Although in many ways this is a positive development it also presents challenges to families and practitioners who want to keep up with the latest developments and are left to sift through new information by themselves to see what is credible and relevant for them.Each of us needs a personal research assistant who can determine which information we need to pay attention to and let us know how it might affect our daily work and the children we are living with or serve. Since we each don't
|Source of Description Note:|| Description based on print version record.
Search for related items by subject
|Subject:||Autism > Popular works.
Autism spectrum disorders > Popular works.
Autistic Disorder > Popular Works.