- 3 of 3 copies available at Evergreen Indiana.
0 current holds with 3 total copies.
|Location||Call Number / Copy Notes||Barcode||Shelving Location||Status||Due Date|
|Indiana State Library - Indianapolis||[Mss I] ISLI S3102 (Text)||00000106230659||Manuscripts||Available||-|
- Physical Description: 0.01 Cubic feet 1 folder
|General Note:|| Processing Information: Collection processing and EAD finding aid completed 2016/01/11 by Patrick Ridout.
|Restrictions on Access Note:|| This collection is open for research.
|Summary, etc.:|| The collection is divided between items relating to L.S. Ayres and Company and items relating to the Johnston family (1898-1908). The materials relating to the Johnston family (1876-1908) includes a pocket edition of the New Testament (distributed by The Pocket Testament League of Philadelphia), a Cradle Roll certificate from the Sixth Presbyterian Sunday School of Indianapolis, one dedal, two pins, and two commemorative crosses. The medal and the crosses commemorate service in the Spanish War. A small Christmas card might or might not be part of the Johnston material.The material relating to L.S. Ayres and Company includes a December 1956 (a Christmas) issues or Ayrograms, a store publication with news of L.S. Ayres personnel, and the centennial history of L.S. Ayres, We Tell Our Story, published in 1957.
|Preferred Citation of Described Materials Note:|| Johnston family collection, Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library
|Terms Governing Use and Reproduction Note:|| Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library, Indianapolis, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Rare Books and Manuscripts.
|Biographical or Historical Data:|| In 1872, Lyman Ayres (1824-1896), a merchant in Geneva, New York, accepted a controlling interest in N.R. Smith and Company, which was located in the Trade Palace in Indianapolis. Two years later, he moved to Indianapolis and assumed personal management of the company, changing its name to L.S. Ayres and Company in 1875. Fredrec M. Ayres (1876-1940) became president of L.S. Ayres and Company on the death of his father in 1896. Two new buildings were erected, 1 West Washington Street in 1905 and, south of that location, a second building in 1928 and 1929. Lymen S Ayres, a grandson of the founder, was named president of L.S. Ayres and Company in 1954 and a chairman in 1962.
Norman and Bertha Johnston were the parents of at least one child, a son (Russell Johnston), and lived in Indianapolis in 1908.
|Ownership and Custodial History:|| This collection was received by Rare Books and Manuscripts as a donation.
|Accumulation and Frequency of Use Note:|| No further additions are expected.
Search for related items by subject
L.S. Ayres and Company.
Sixth Presbyterian Sunday School (Indianapolis, Ind.)
Business enterprises > Indiana > Indianapolis.
Presbyterian Church > Indiana > Indianapolis.
Spanish-American War, 1898.