- 1 of 1 copy available at Evergreen Indiana.
0 current holds with 1 total copy.
|Location||Call Number / Copy Notes||Barcode||Shelving Location||Status||Due Date|
|Indiana State Library - Indianapolis||[Mss I] ISLI S2173 (Text)||00000106199268||Manuscripts||Available||-|
- Physical Description: 0.01 Linear feet 1 folder
|General Note:|| Processing Information: Collection processing completed 2016/01/21 by Lauren Patton. EAD finding aid created 2016/01/21 by Lauren Patton.
|Restrictions on Access Note:|| This collection is open for research.
|Summary, etc.:|| This collection contains a variety of materials: transcriptions, personal notes, letters, a poll book, a tax table, financial statements, bonds covering public officials, legal agreements, a political platform, a map, and a newspaper clipping. The materials date from 1873-1970.Generally, the materials all relate to the civic and political affairs of the town of Irvington, now a neighborhood of Indianapolis. Topics covered include early laws pertaining to the keeping of livestock, school bonding, provision of water works, creation of a park, street construction and maintenance, the election and resignation of public officials, assessment and taxation, crime prevention and public safety, and control of the sale of intoxicating beverages.
|Preferred Citation of Described Materials Note:|| Irvington collection, Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library
|Terms Governing Use and Reproduction Note:|| Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library, Indianapolis, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Rare Books and Manuscripts.
|Biographical or Historical Data:|| Jacob Julian and Sylvester Johnson purchased 320 acres for a new community in Marion county in 1873. They named the town Irvington after America's first world-renowned author, Washington Irving. The original plans of Irvington envisioned a community of impressive homes surrounded by large grounds. however, the depression of 1873-1874 and its aftermath caused many owners of large homes and grounds to subidivide their properties so that less affluent families were able to build modest homes in the very yards of mansions. Having withstood social and economic changes of great magnitude, Irvington became a stable community over the years.
|Ownership and Custodial History:|| This collection was received by Rare Books and Manuscripts as a donation from George S. Cottman on 1931/05/04.
|Accumulation and Frequency of Use Note:|| No further additions are expected.
Search for related items by subject
|Subject:||Irvington (Indianapolis, Ind.) > History.
Marion County (Ind.) > History.